What is the Craftmark Seal?
Any product whose primary value is derived from a handmade process can be certified as a Craftmark product.
The primary value, as defined by Craftmark can either be determined on the basis of economic value or application of the craft process:
- The economic value of the handmade process to be certified should be at least 50% of the cost of the product.
- The application of the handmade process to be certified should constitute at least 50% of the final product.
The ‘Craftmark Seal’ is a proof of the certification which the members will use in the form of tags on its certified products.
What is a handmade/handcrafted process?
- AIACA defines a handmade / handcrafted process as any process where the hand skills of the practitioner are the most significant part of the production process.
- The use of simple tools and equipment is acceptable to the degree where it reduces drudgery but does not compromise on the skills. Such as, using jigger in dyeing and washing of textiles, lathe in wood turning / stone turning or spanners, hammers, chisels in carving.
- The terms handmade, handcrafted, made by hand, hand done process can be used interchangeably.
- The actual hand done process has to take place within the political boundaries of India.
Craftmark - Seal of Authencity
The Craftmark seal consists of the following components.It is considered incomplete if either of these is missing:
- Craftmark logo
- License number
- Name of certified handmade process
- Region of production
- Name of the organization
- Validity date
The seal can be used as a separate tag issued by AIACA or as part of the brand tags used by the organization.
The seal should be used only on the products that use the handmade process the organization has been certified for.
Below is a detailed description of each component of the Craftmark seal.
1. Craftmark Logo
Craftmark logo consists of the approved artwork, including the text ‘Craftmark – Handmade in India’.
2. License Number
The license number issued by Craftmark is a seven digit alpha-numeric code. The first three digits are the Membership number of the organization. Each member organization will have a unique membership number assigned to them. The alpha-numeric code starting with ‘P’ is the code for the documented handmade process. This combination results in a unique code, that indicates the organization and the handmade process for which it has been awarded the Craftmark seal.
An organization can have the Craftmark certification for more than one hand made process. In such a case the license number will be different for each of those processes.
The license number issued by AIACA can be checked for:
- Validity of the license period
- Craftmark certified process
3. Name of Certified Handmade Process
AIACA defines a handmade / handcrafted process as any process where the hand skills of the practitioner are the most significant part of the production process. The use of simple tools and equipment is acceptable to the degree where it reduces drudgery but does not compromise on the skills.
The terms handmade, handcrafted, made by hand, hand done process can be used interchangeably.
This is the specific region in India where the certified handicraft process is carried out.
5. Name of Organization
The name of the organization is either the business name under which they are registered or the brand name that they have mentioned while applying for Craftmark.
6. Validity Date
The Craftmark seal is issued for use for a period of two years, after which the organization is required to apply for renewal.
Guidelines for Use of Craftmark Seal
A member can use the Craftmark seal, based on the following guidelines:
- The Craftmark seal can be used as a separate tag (as issued by AIACA), along with the brand tag on the products that use the Craftmark certified handmade process.
- The Craftmark seal can be used as part of the brand tags used by the organization. However, all six elements- Craftmark Logo , license number, name of certified handmade process, region, name of organization and validity date must be present.
The Craftmark Logo must not be altered. Please refer to Schedule 3 of the Brand License Agreement (see Annexure 3) for detailed styling guidelines for the logo.